Heating issues can be a nuisance, especially during cold weather. When you are having an issue with heating your home, you may be able to fix the problem yourself. Here are four common problems and solutions to try before calling a plumber.
- We are always running out of hot water
- Check to see if any appliances are being used at the same time. It may be just a matter of rearranging the cleaning schedule a little. Try wrapping your hot water heater and hot water pipes in insulation to retain some heat.
- I have no hot water at all
- If you have an electric water heater, try resetting the breaker. If it trips again after resetting it, call us. If you have a gas heater, the pilot might be out. Just follow the directions on the front panel of the unit to light the pilot.
- My furnace turns on but stops blowing out hot air
- This may be a sign of a clogged filter. Dust may have built up on the filter, which causes a problem with airflow which then causes your furnace to shut off. We suggest checking to see if your air filter is dusty.
- My furnace won’t turn on
- Verify that the circuit breaker was not accidentally tripped. If it hasn’t been, next check that the switch near the furnace is in the on position. It looks like a light switch and may have been shut off by mistake. If both the circuit breaker and the furnace switch are on, it may be time to call a plumber.